Dismissal is a permanent separation from the university without the right to reapply. Dismissed students may not be present on university property.
Dismissal affects not just your future enrollment, but your current enrollment as well – you could be dropped from all of your classes regardless of your progress. Your financial aid or eligibility for a refund is likewise probably affected by this sanction. We encourage you to continue working with your advisor and/or to consult with the Office of Student Advocacy.
The effective date of your dismissal is identified on your outcome letter. Please continue reading until the end to understand how the appeal process affects implementation of your dismissal.
- You have the right to appeal. You must submit your appeal within five (5) business days from the date on the outcome letter.
- Unless a student is otherwise notified in writing, a dismissal will not take effect until after the appeal period.
- Please see the Code of Student Conduct, Section 3335-23-18 and our webpage explaining the appeal process for further information.
- If you appeal: While the appeal is under review, your status as an Ohio State student is the same as it was before receiving your outcome letter. If you were enrolled and attending classes, you may continue while your appeal is under review.
- Any existing restrictions or stipulations will remain in effect for the duration of your appeal period. (e.g. interim suspension, restrictions, housing changes, no contact orders).
- You will be responsible for any charges (e.g. housing, tuition, etc.) incurred during the appeal period.
- Once your dismissal has been processed, you may not enter any Ohio State campus, facility, grounds, or sponsored event without the express permission of the Vice President for Student Life, or their designee, the Dean of Students. Permission is granted on a limited basis. Attending a scheduled appointment with a Student Conduct staff member does not require the Vice President or Dean of Student’s approval.
- To request permission to enter any Ohio State campus, facility, grounds, or sponsored event, email the Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your presence on campus without express permission may result in your arrest for trespassing.
- Dismissal is permanently noted on your academic transcript.