Office of Student Life

For Faculty and Staff

A student is being disruptive in class. What should I do?

First, if you have an immediate concern for anyone's safety, please call 911. Review the Guide to Disruptive or Distressed Individuals published by the Office of Academic Affairs. Consider what steps you have already taken or could take to direct the student to conforming his or her behavior to your expectations. Document the student's behavior using clear descriptive language in an email to your department chair or other appropriate colleague. 

How do I make a report regarding disruptive or other behavior that might violate the Code of Student Conduct?

For allegations other than academic misconduct, you can submit a complaint. Or you can call our office and ask to speak with a Case Manager. For allegations involving academic misconduct, contact the Committee on Academic Misconduct (COAM).

I am concerned about a student's well-being. What should I do?

Refer to the Guide to Disruptive or Distressed Individuals. Remember if you have immediate concerns regarding a student's safety, call 911. You might also consider calling Counseling and Consultation at 614-292-5766 to discuss your concerns. If you are unsure about other available resources, call Student Advocacy at 614-292-1111.

A student asked me to be his advisor. What does that involve?

Students are permitted to have an advisor throughout our process. Advisors do not "represent" or argue on behalf of students. Our students always carry the responsibility of speaking for themselves. The most important role of the advisor is to offer emotional support. Additionally, advisors can:

  • prompt students to reflect on their behavior;
  • advise students regarding the options available to resolve their case;
  • help students better understand the Student Conduct process; and
  • identify other resources to assist the student.