Disciplinary Records Checks
Our office completes thousands of disciplinary records checks each year for students, former students and third parties.
How long do we report records?
The length of time we report on records depends on the outcome of the case.
- If a student is suspended or dismissed from the university, we report on the record permanently.
- If a student receives a sanction other than suspension or dismissal, we report on the record for ten years.
- Unless the request specifically asks for information about investigations without charges, we would NOT report on cases in which we did not issue charges. We still maintain the record for at least one year.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects student conduct records. More information about FERPA (PDF)
- Third parties seeking information about a student's disciplinary record must have written authorization from the student in order for us to disclose their disciplinary history.
- Students and former students must provide identifying information, such as your date of birth or student identification number.
- All forms must also be signed and dated.
How long does it take to process a request?
While we can often complete a records check while you wait or within two business days, some cases require more time. Accordingly, please plan for up to a seven-day turn-around.
How do I submit a request?
You may submit your disciplinary records verification form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax to 614-292-2098.
You may also come in person to our office.
- Please check here for our office hours.
- If you are making a special trip to campus, we encourage you to call first to verify our office will be open.
Our office provides information regarding disciplinary records only. Please direct inquiries regarding a student's academic standing or knowledge regarding character and fitness to the university Registrar or the student's academic college or advisor.