Sexual Violence : Filing a Complaint
- To file a complaint, you are encouraged to write up a description of the incident. Remember, the more details you can provide the better.
- You are encouraged to contact Student Conduct to arrange a meeting with one of our hearing officers to discuss the complaint (33 West 11th Avenue, Room 115, 614-292-0748).
- Student Conduct typically may investigate and adjudicate complaints which occur on-campus and off-campus. In addition, Student Conduct may handle complaints that occur at university activities or events, such as study-abroad and school-sponsored trips.
- Remember that sexual violence is a crime. Consider reporting to OSU Police if the assault occurred on-campus, or to the local police department or agency if the assault occurred off-campus. You may also discuss those options with us (see Law Enforcement link). However, there need not be a police report or complaint in order for Student Conduct to proceed with the university process.
- Student Conduct handles complaints against OSU students and student groups, but not faculty or staff. Complaints against Ohio State faculty or staff members are addressed by The Ohio State University Department of Human Resources, 1590 N. High St., Suite 300, 614- 292-1050.
- Once you file a complaint, a hearing officer from our office is responsible for notifying the student or group of the charge, conducting a timely investigation, and determining if there is a potential violation of the Code of Student Conduct.
- When you make a complaint, you will be asked to write down what you saw, heard, or experienced. Witnesses may be requested to meet with us to provide witness statements. Remember that the person named has a right to see what you write.